The commercial ice industry, made possible by the railroad, started in 1871 when the first of six large ice houses were built in Mayville. These were the Chautauqua Lake Ice Co., Pittsburgh Ice Co., Carlson’s Ice, Hopson Ice Co., Cornell and Hewes and the Mayville Ice Co. on what is now Sea Lion Drive.
In 1870 the price of Ice was as high as $15 ton. This price may have been a key reason as to why Ice Houses began cropping up on Chautauqua Lake the following year. By 1880, the average wholesale price of ice was $3.75 per ton, but $5.75 and $6 were the rates during the summer.
Pittsburgh, Meadville, Oil City, and other towns in western Pennsylvania harvested some ice in their respective localities, but they depended on Chautauqua Lake for a large part of their supply.
The local ice industry employed as many as 600 workers at its peak. With the invention of the electric refrigerator, the demand for ice quickly evaporated throughout the region and the heyday of Ice Harvesting ended on Chautauqua Lake.
In 1935, Harry Kibbe made the last ice harvest in the Town of Chautauqua at the Mayville Ice Co., also known as the Fischer Ice House (above). It was torn down the following year.
Devon Taylor, Mayville Historian – “History of the Town of Chautauqua”
Deon Taylor, Mavyille Historian – “A Brief History of Mayville”
Allegany County, NY Local History and Geneology Site – “Ice History – New York State”