The McClurg Mansion was built in 1818 by pioneer James McClurg, the wealthy son of a Pittsburgh industrialist. Its grand salons and formal rooms stood in sharp contrast to the rugged homes of neighboring frontier settlers. Today the 14-room Federal-style mansion is the home of the Chautauqua County Historical Society.
The museum features period displays on three floors. Displays include some of the earliest artifacts and archival materials relating to the settlement and subsequent development of the county. The collection features fine art, antique furnishings, textiles and much more. Children especially enjoy the Victorian nursery with its delightful doll collection. Guided tours are available. The mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.